About Happy Aging
In 2008 several business managers, academics and leading experts in the care sector joined forces: they founded an independent platform to promote greater entrepreneurship and better quality care through innovation. Under the direction of professor Piet Stinissen, dean of the Department of Medicine and Life Sciences at Hasselt University Happy Aging has become an inspiring membership organization. From its base at the health & care incubator on the University campus Happy Aging is shaping the future.
300 seniors and 950 careers or healthcare providers: the only true experts in happy aging. These people are actively involved in a real-life test environment. This ranges from brainstorming sessions and interviews to all kinds of practical tests for new high-tech products and services.
In collaboration with companies, care organizations, knowledge centers and policymakers we launch new ideas, test out which innovations offer genuine added value and organize inspiring activities. This is all aimed at allowing the elderly to remain at home to enjoy a good quality of life, both safely and affordably.
Aging 2.0 in Silicon Valley, the Swedish Medicon Village or, closer to home, the Innovation Center, Flanders Care and Limburg Startup: with our strong partnerships we are building an extensive network all across the globe. A network to benefit our members.
Vision and mission
Every ship needs men and women at the helm: experts with a vision, experience and commitment. Such inspirers determine the course of Happy Aging and help the ambitious future plans to unfold.
- Piet Stinissen and team
- Advisory board
- Executive board:
- Jaak Rutten: CEO C-power and chairperson RvB
- Piet Stinissen: dean of the department of Medicine and Life Sciences, Hasselt University & director of LTV
- Mark Decat: CEO Indigo Care, member of RvB
- Bert Op’t Eijnde: Professor in rehabilitation sciences and physiotherapy, Hasselt University, member of RvB
- Erik Gerits: economic delegate province of Limburg, member of RvB
- Frank Zwerts: director of Locate in Limburg, member of RvB
- Ruben Lemmens: director of VKW Limburg, member of RvB
- Yves Breysem: managing director Jessa Ziekenhuis, vice- chairperson RvB Hospilim Plus, member of RvB
- Dr. Johan Vandervelden: chairperson of Listel, member of RvB
BioVille offers those first starting or growing in Health & Care a flexible, all-in services agreement, consisting of a unique combination involving a premium infrastructure and adapted services.
BioVille comprises a community with three buildings:
- The Early-development wing is the perfect setting for young, start-up initiatives, and consists of small offices and labs.
- The Late-development wing is focused on young companies in development, with modules consisting of office and laboratories.
- The accelerator Accelerator is able to offer support to more mature companies that specifically need larger modules with a customized mix of offices, labs and/or clean-rooms. This Accelerator includes the Care-hub, a dynamic cluster of companies which are innovating in the growing care market.
Residents are given the opportunity to tap into the entire value chain of Health & Care research both cost-efficiently and with a limited threshold, and ranging from development, small-scale production to commercialization.
BioVille creates a professional environment and is engaged in stimulating a Health & Care community, including organization of events in partnership with the cluster organization LifeTechValley.
Happy Aging Day 2016
On 16 June 2016 the bustling Happy Aging community organized their first Happy Aging Day.
A day packed with inspiring top-level speakers, an exciting contest not to mention a lovely networking reception.
Over 350 seniors, companies, care organizations, knowledge centers and policymakers found out just how innovative it can be to grow older.
Sign up for our Happy Aging newsletter and keep an eye on our website for all the details.